Building a visual Truck model in CANoe
|Title||Building a visual Truck model in CANoe|
|Summary||The goal of this project is to make a complete model of the truck behaviors visual in truck communication protocols environment.|
|Author||Peter Thorngren (Volvo GTT)|
|Supervisor||Mohammad Mousavi, Walid Taha|
Background of thesis project
Megatrends like Automation, Online hybrid systems and Transportation is fundamentally changing the truck industry of today. The transport solutions of the future will look very differently and meet partly other needs than they do today. To meet this shifts develop solutions models are used and will be increasingly used during the complete product development cycles.
Models are becoming critical and not just a cost saving option. Usable models have to be comprehensible and valid from the perspective of the user. Volvo has developed a new software platform called TEA2+ (Electrical Engineering System). This platform is used for a number of the Volvo brands. It basically controls all behaviors of the Truck. This platform is a complete implementation of AUTOSAR with the critical division between hardware and software realized. This enables independent modeling of software and hardware; but it is still easy to link together through the interface of the Virtual Function Bus (VFB). This interface is critical to building models.
The communication protocols in Trucks are still CAN and LIN based with some exceptions. Models that are built must be able to interface these protocols to have links to real models (actual Trucks). Basically models has to have at least two interfaces implemented, that of VFB and that of common Truck communication Protocols.
Volvo has invested heavily in simulation systems that are capable of measuring and simulation almost all aspects of the truck, this makes models easier to validate and is used more and more for design and evaluation purposes.
The student(s)should have an deep Interest in simulations, models and software with good or very visual communication skills and good graphical understanding. The model in this work is a visual model. The student has to have good knowledge of graphical tools and formats. C# will be required to provide the functional behavior in parts of the model. The use of Simulink could also be a part of the work. An interest in automotive will be assumed. The work will be very close to our products (Trucks).
Description of thesis work
- The goal of the work is to research the best principles on how to make a complete model of the truck behaviors visual in truck communication protocols environment. The base for this work is the existing functionality of the
- The model will be used to explain the current system to engineers working with redesign or to explain behaviors to people with limited technical background. The model has to have common parts but the possibility of different perspectives.
- The focus of the work should be to provide actual working models. These models should validate and clarify the principles from a practical stand point. Think in the terms of a driver or workshops manual but with actual behaviors.
- The actual models will be built in CANoe format in the form of visual panels and C# code for behaviors linked to the actual truck system. The models should be executable in actual trucks but also executable on the VFB.
- A limited example of a similar CANoe model is available by downloading CANoe 8.0 http://vector.com/vi_downloadcenter_en.html# - look in …\Vector\CANoe\8.0\CANoe Demos\Demo_CAN_CN\CANSystemDemo" in the installed tool. This model is lacking VFB and is not showing TEA2+ and it’s not partitioned for different perspectives.
- When a methodology has been established, a number of different concepts are to be evaluated. The thesis project should start with a comprehensive literature review.
- Simulation codes will be available at Volvo GTT.
- The project will be performed in close cooperation with Volvo GTT in Lundby.